It’s the holiday season and while that can mean time out of a normal routine and the chance for a longer training day or two, it’s also a time for good food!
Enter: Orange Pecans Cookies!
This recipe is very scrumptious and very simple with pecans and orange zest flavors leading the way. By default the recipe is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, low fodmap, and has very few ingredients which is always a good thing!
Our thanks to Julie at Calm Belly for allowing us to post this recipe, albeit with a small adaption. Her recipe was adapted from this one at Self magazine, which was adapted from somebody’s grandmother’s mother’s aunt years ago. 🙂 But seriously Julie, thanks for the great recipe.
Orange Pecan Cookies – Yum!
Prep time: 15 mins (plus chilling)
Cook time: 15 mins Total time: 40 mins
Makes: 14 to 15 cookies
2 cups (225 grams) pecans
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 large or extra large egg whites
1/4 cup white rice or brown rice flour*
Zest of 1 naval orange
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp sea salt
Cooking spray or coconut oil for lining parchment paper/baking sheets
*For paleo option omit flour, see Julie’s recipe
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spread pecans on a large rimmed baking sheet and bake until fragrant and lightly toasted, 7 to 8 minutes, stirring them around about halfway through. Cool completely. You can do this ahead of time. Keep in the freezer if not going to use them for a couple of days.
2. Add the cooled pecans (they must be cool or they’ll get pasty) to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, or a blender with a pulse/chop option. Pulse several times until finely chopped with a chunky, slightly sandy texture.
3. In a large bowl, combine egg whites,orange zest, extracts and salt. Add flour and stir well. Add pecan mixture and stir until well combined. Refrigerate until completely chilled, 90 minutes to 2 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350F and position rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease the parchment with cooking spray or coconut oil. Scoop heaping teaspoons of batter onto parchment about 2 inches apart. You should get 14 to 15 cookies.
5. Bake until cookies are puffed and just set in the center, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack and cool completely.
Enjoy and happy holidays!